Nottingham Lions shot down the Hull Jets, to maintain their place on the top of the Conference, with all the Leagues upper half winning at home to their lower opposition.

Still without Max Bennett, Samuel Jackson, Joe Gretton and long term absentee Reece Glossop. Back in the side tonight were under 18's player Jon Binder and 20's Jordan Wright.

A minutes silence was observed for the tragedy that had taken place on the Friday evening followed by the French national anthem "La Marseillaise" before the action got underway.

The game started with Hull coming out of the traps flying before the Lions picked up their game as the action was taking place in front of both goals (Hovell and Dalby both being kept busy). Lions were forced to concede their first penalty after two and a half minutes, with Slav Kasprzak sent for a high stick.

The power play was shortened when Jets Ben Sayer went in for 2 minutes for Slashing. Hull paid the price with Lions getting the go-ahead goal on the power play with a first goal of the season from Ben Wilson tipping in a Connor Glossop’s blue line drive, second assist accredited to Ben Wood.

Lions made it two goals from two power plays, Adam Andrews fired in from the hash marks after neat passing move from Cameron Pywell, Ben Wilson accredited the second assist.

The first period ended with Lions back on the power play, Thomas Forster picking up a minor for Boarding.

Hull survived the shorthand un-scathed, and once back to five men, pulled a goal back through Cain Taylor, latching onto a loose puck in front of net, following a series of fine saves from Tom Hovell, Josh Blissett awarded the assist.

Jets Dan Spence was adjudged to have said too much to Referee Kempster, forcing him to send Spence for a ten minute misconduct.  Lions made it 3-1 as Connor Glossop scored with a quick shot coming out of the corner low to the netminders blocker side, assisted by Ben Wood and Robert Perks.

Hull ran into a few penalty problems as Jo Anson was given two for interference, and then Josh Blissett received a ten minute misconduct penalty, at the same time Ben Sayer went on a delay of the game penalty, a minute later the Jets bench gained an abuse of official penalty.

Dan Hazeldine scored back door with a direct pass from Adam Andrews tipping the puck over the Jets netminders shoulder for goal number four.

Nottingham’s Kieran Raynor went for elbows however that was cancelled quickly as Hull scored on the power play to make it 4–2, Kieran Beach with his first of the night, assists to Ben Sayer and Declan Pearson.

Dan Spence picked up a a two minute Hooking penalty. Thirty seconds after returning to the ice, he had an altercation with Lions captain Luke Thomas on the boards. Spence received a double roughing penalty, Thomas receiving triple roughing penalties plus a ten minute misconduct penalty for his troubles.

Hull made it a one goal game (4-3) a minute into the final session putting the Lions under further pressure, scored by the same trio as their goal number 2, Beach, Sayer and Pearson on the scoresheet.

With a minute and ten remaining, Hull withdrew their netminder, in an effort to gain the equaliser, but a couple of wide attempts by the Lions followed by a shot just over the red lines from Cameron Pywell scoring the empty net goal, and sealing a 5-3 victory for the Lions.

Head Coach Matt Bradbury spoke after the game to "Tonight was a great game - we have some fantastic games against Hull and tonight was no different.  Both teams have mutual respect for each other and have the same aims and ethos developing the next generation of young up and coming players."

"I spoke with Jets Coach Andy (Dainteth) after the game and we agreed that both teams and individual players have improved so much already this season which is great to see and that the future is looking bright."


Tuesday, 17 November 2015.